1959 His Masters Voice (HMV) F5-A6 B&W TV

This is an Australian made His Masters Voice (HMV) F5-A6 B&W TV set made around 1959. This is your typical large screen B&W TV set you would see in the Australian living room in the late 1950s as other TV brands of the day from Astor to Philips made TVs of similar appearance in the late 50s.

There is actually a bit of an interesting story to go with this TV. Back in late 1997 when I was 16 I had a part time job assisting with Coles deliveries delivering food to doorsteps of peoples homes (particularly the elderly) and on one delivery at a house in Mangerton I saw in the living room this vintage B&W TV set. Back then I was very fascinated with early TVs and this TV caught my eye because of its curvy screen and I thought "I wouldn't mind having this TV". Moving forward to early 2006 I was driving through Mangerton on the way back from work and I saw this very TV out the front on the curb ready for curbside pickup, so I pulled over and claimed it!!! :D The original owner saw me and kindly helped me get the TV into the backseat of my VR Commodore which was a very tight fit but got it in there. Anyways I was happy to be the proud new owner of this vintage TV!

Now getting onto the practical side. As it had no cord, I had to solder one on and on initial power up not much happened. Then I saw a couple of broken wires from a transformer (going from memory) and so I joined them and powered the TV up and success, it powered up, I was getting sound but the picture was vertically collapsed to a horizontal line which is a typical in any CRT TV set old and new. I decided to contact my TV tech friend Brian who has had years of experience fixing TVs and installing antennas and he kindly worked on the TV for me and he managed to get it up and running to as good as it current operates. He actually sourced some of the technical info from my mate John's cool386.com site which really helped in getting this set to work. So the current operating status of this TV is the tube has excellent emission, it's displaying pictures but the vertical linearity is off as the image is squashed at the top, that is something I need to somehow fix. In order to display a decent picture from the DVD player I had to have the AV out connected to a RCA AV to RF VHF (Ch-0/Ch-1) converter and connect that via an antenna RF booster to the antenna input socket of the TV, without the booster I would get a snowy picture as seen in one of the videos below. Anyways on the overall this TV is mostly in good working order, just needs some vertical linerarity correction and it should display good pictures.

Here below are a series of videos and pictures of this TV in operation.


HMV F5-A6 in operation (Part 1) displaying snow
HMV F5-A6 in operation (Part 2) without antenna booster displaying a snowy picture
HMV F5-A6 in operation (Part 3) with antenna booster displaying a good clear picture
(Vintage Video Home)
Here below are a series of photos I've taken back in 2008 when I had my little CCD colour camera hooked up to the TV and I can be seen on the TV screen in a couple of shots. The first picture is not from camera but something from a videotape.
HMV F5-A6 in operation (Part 4) displaying some classic Graham Kennedy IMT footage from the early 1960s
HMV F5-A6 in operation (Part 5) displaying Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs live TV performance from 1972
HMV F5-A6 in operation (Part 6) displaying the infamous poptart Nyan Cat internet viral video
UPDATE!!!

I have decided to start on getting this TV set up and running a lot better as there are issues with it that needed to be addressed and the most obvious one is the vertical linearity problem which the picture is squashed towards the top. So first thing's first is to replace all paper capacitors in the chassis like I have done with the Andrea VJ12 as paper caps are known to be unreliable. So I have disassembled the chassis from the cabinet and have noted down all of the wax paper caps which was a bit tricky as a number of them were buried underneath the birds nest of components wired point to point, I had to rotate them to find the values at the risk of breaking the wires attached to them. So now I have the values written down I am going to order a bunch of mylar caps from Futurlec to replace the papers. There were also Ducon Styroseal caps in the chassis as well and I wonder what the reliability of those are, plus there's those Philips/Mullard mustard coloured caps as well which I too question in terms of reliability, I will have to ask one of my tech friends about them. Anyhow I then reassembled the chassis to the cabinet and tube and powered it up again to see if all is well, unfortunately the picture has vertically collapsed so I guess I might of broken one of the wax paper caps in the vertical scan section, this is however no big deal as it shouldn't be too hard to fix. Anyways here below are some photos of the chassis and the cabinet and a video which I give an overview of this set and talk about the paper cap replacement job I am going to do:
Rear of cabinet with chassis removed
Top view of the chassis showing all valves and high voltage electrolytic caps
Bottom view of chassis revealing all electronics soldered point to point. As seen there are a number of wax paper caps in need of replacing
Closeup of the components underneath the chassis, as seen there are wax paper caps and also Ducon Styroseal caps
A video of me giving an overview on this set and talking about the wax paper cap replacement job I endeavor to do